Thursday, July 8, 2010

Welcome Baby Mac

Ok, I finally did it. I'm posting from our new Macbook Pro. I still really want the iPad but couldn't justify them both. Macbook Pro won. I waited, rather impatiently, only 4 days to get it, checking the fedex tracking number several times a day.

Of course, it's the same mac I was expecting and the out-of-box experience is all I expected from Apple. I quickly set up the user accounts to match my iMac so everyone would be able to use it. Here's where it gets ugly. In a momentary lapse of judgement, I decided to set all three mac's to use Mail and set up gmail as IMAP instead of POP. For those of you who don't know about this, IMAP (as opposed to POP) is the protocol that allows you to use a local mail client like outlook or apple mail or entourage but changes are synchronized to the online gmail account. In English: If I make a change to the local email, ( archive, delete, move to a folder) then it will be the same way on all computers and at gmail.com. Here is what I wasn't planning to do: wait for 20 minutes while Apple Mail downloaded 6342 messages.....on all three computers! Well, I figured there are plenty of messages I could delete. I've had this account for years and never cleaned out the online version. I was using POP before so deleted files were never deleted on gmail's servers. Here is what else I wasn't planning to do: spend more than two hours on gmail cleaning out old emails. I've got it down to a respectable 2714. But there is no way to sort by anything in the online version so I have to search for say "amazon" then it will list all emails from "amazon" and I can select "all" and select "delete". How much fun is that?

Luckily, one of my wine drinking friends came over and saved me.

No comments:

Post a Comment