Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sometimes I'm that stupid. (Let's play chase that app)

I upgraded my iPhone 3g to the new iOS4. I know that I cannot have a background or multitasking but I wanted three of the new capabilities.

  1. Being able to see all my email inboxes in one place - this in invaluable. It used to to take too many clicks to get from one inbox to another. Now I can see everything in one place. 
  2. Zoom on the camera - OK, so the quality of the camera is not that good to start with but a little zoom makes a big difference sometimes.
  3. Most important! I loved the idea of having folders for my apps. 9 pages of apps is a lot go to through and I wasn't really good at organizing them. 
Number three sounds good in theory, but that's where the trouble started. In order to put apps together in a folder, you have to hold one of the icons until they all shake, then move on app on top of the other. They will create a folder with the category based on the second app. Ok. I move my blackjack on top of blocks and get a category called games whoo hooo! It worked! Now to add all my games to this folder. But wait, my games are all over the place. When you move an app across more than one page all the other apps move all over the place. It's kind of like trying to catch a goldfish with your bare hands. Forget trying to get an app from page 9 to page 3 where I started the games folder. 

I played this ridiculous game of catch that app for almost 30 minutes and finally said forget it. I pictured Steve Jobs laughing at the world as we all try to wrangle these apps from one page to another. 

Then I remembered that you can organize apps when you connect your phone to the computer. You can move from page to page without all those apps wiggling away. 

Yeah, sometimes I'm that stupid. 

p.s. you can only have 12 apps in a folder. If you try to put more apps in the folder it just wriggles away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment