Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sunday morning ritual

My favorite Sunday morning. It's early. Everyone is still sleeping and the house is quiet. I tip toe into the kitchen to make coffee. I use the French press so I dont make too much noise. Coffee in hand, I set it down by my favorite cushy couch and head outside to get the paper, cold and barefoot. I find my spot on the couch and spend the morning reading the paper cover to cover. The Miami Herald when I was young, the Washington Post later on, then the Union tribune. It didn't matter, just me, the peace and quiet, my hot coffee and a portal into the rest of the world.

Wait! That used to be my favorite Sunday morning. I still make my coffee and creep quietly to my favorite spot, only I no longer get the paper. I read all my favorite news and blogs on the iPad. I like skipping the cold sidewalk and wet plastic sleeve on the news. I like not having to remove the sports section to get to the editorials. I like that I can sit and drink my coffee without newsprint on my hands and cup.

I now read: USA Today and Google News, The Washington post, Unplggd, Facebook, Twitter and a few others, all aggregated in flip board. It looks a bit like my familiar newspaper, but without the trip to the recycle bin when I'm done.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds very peaceful and lovely. I think I will "join" you from my house on Sunday mornings. I must admit, however, that I still like receiving the ads and coupons in the UT. I'm a sucker for a deal. So, once the paper is read, it gets placed in my "kindling" box thereby recycled as well.

    ReplyDelete