Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Clutter War

I'm now trying to unclutter my office. I have these visions of a perfect minimalist workspace. You know, the kind you see in magazines and on Lifehacker or Unclutterer.com. All the books are covered in white paper, sparsely placed photos of beautiful black and white photography on nearly empty shelves and an ikea chair and desk with nothing but a white bud vase and perfect flower. But then there is the annoying reality that is my office. I can clean up and put things away and organize. I will finally get it to where it looks like no one lives or works here. Then things just seem to creep in. Files, papers, business cards etc have migrated into my workspace. Right now, there's my coffee cup, of course, and the stack of bills that need to be opened, the stack of stuff to be filed, cleaning spray from my intention to clean as I unclutter, my borrowed label maker and a host of receipts that have found their way to my desk and that little remote that comes with the mac, among other things.

All the websites devoted to organization tell you to break it down into manageable tasks, so here I go.
1. The file drawers: Business Files and Personal Files separated and labeled and purged of old stuff.
2. Take all the photos that line all the shelves and put them in an album. I love my family but I don't really need them staring at me while I work.
3. Put all photo's, printer paper, disks, extraneous cables, memory cards etc in those nice white boxes from ikea.
4. Promise myself I won't let it get out of hand again.....and do it all over in 6 months.

Wish me luck!

PS The suggestion came up about scanning all my documents and storing them on cd, but there is something about keeping the papers that I can't let go of. It seems somewhat time consuming to receive papers, scan them into the computer, organize them into related directories and then remember where I put the cd when I'm looking for something.


No comments:

Post a Comment