Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Communication Overload

Fun surprise in my email this morning. I finally received my invitation to Google Voice. I requested it 6 months ago so I was really excited to be one of the "chosen few."

Now I have mixed feelings. I already have a home phone, way more than 5 email accounts, a cell phone with text, skype, more than 4 instant message services, Mobileme,  Facebook and now Google Voice. Is this too much? I've managed to consolidate all my instant message services into "Adium" on my iMac and "Empathy" on my Ubutnu Laptop. These work great. I can see who is online and chat with anyone on any service from one place, except it looks like I'm on facebook even when I'm not. I've also managed to consolidate all my email accounts. I forward most of them to my gmail so I only check that and mobileme. I chose those two services because I can use them from any computer and they are the best at keeping out the junk mail. They also feed into one inbox on the mac.

I've been in an unclutter mode lately so I'm wondering if adding one more service is a good thing. Will I be able to consolidate everything into one place and will Google be it? I have concerns about privacy but I'm pretty sure there is no real privacy anymore, at least not digitally.

Well, feeling honored that I was finally chosen to receive the illusive Google Voice, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I will post more as I start to use it and get more acquainted with what it really does. I did get to pick a cool number, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment